- Wide range of basic and advanced classes in math, science, social studies, and language arts
- Classes to fulfill curriculum requirements in computer, health, fine arts, and electives
- Organization and Study Skills Instruction
- Dual enrollment with local community college
- Online Classes
- Summer enrichment program for elementary students
- Full range of classes offered in summer school 7-12
Our students are a "gift to us" at The Education Center School, but their hours of giving back make them "a gift to the community." Service learning enriches classroom learning and is applied through service to others. The spirit of volunteering for a worthy cause is fulfilling and creates life long relationships. ECS students of all ages are actively involved in pursuing service and learning hours to practice good citizenship and give back to the community.
Since 1996, Box Tops for Education has helped America's schools raise over $300 million to buy items that enhance their learning environments. ECS parents can help raise money for our school by:
- Clipping box tops from participating products and send them to the school
- Signing up to support ECS on the Box Tops website at www.btfe.com
- Shopping at over 100 favorite online stores through the Box Tops Marketplace
- Purchasing books through the Box Tops Reading Room at Barnes & Noble
Student and Counseling Services
Michele M. Ogburn
Student and counseling services are an important and vital part of school life at The Education Center School. A key component of our school vision is the celebration of our students' individual talents and accomplishments. For more than forty-eight years we have been steadfast in our approach to education. We have pride in our students and their achievements and promote them in as many ways as possible. We are advocates for our students to ensure they have academic, career, and personal/social success in their lives. Our goal is to prevent, intervene, and close achievement and opportunity gaps.
In student services, we value and respect integrity, openness, cooperation, diversity, and individual differences. Our counseling department promotes the personal, social, emotional, and cognitive growth of all ECS students. We work closely with our students and their parents to guide and empower them by connecting with a broad network of support services. Our counseling model is comprised of mentoring in the areas of academic and college advising as well as in personal growth. Elementary and middle school students' concentrations are on developmental stages of student growth, including the needs, tasks, and personal interests related to those grades in school.
Special attention is given to the ongoing issues affecting students today, and an important focus is on the awareness of social and cultural differences in our communities. We encourage each student to embrace differences in one another and to think creatively without conventional boundaries. We want every student to feel comfortable and secure in their surroundings.
Annual academic planning for ECS students promotes and enhances student achievement. Knowledge, understanding, and skills are developed through the student's classroom instruction, appraisal, counseling, and collaboration of faculty and counselors. With ninety-six percent of our students attending college, we believe they have been "empowered with the knowledge that there are no limits to what they can accomplish."
- Art Club
- Boys' State
- Doodle for Google
- ECS Student Council
- Girls' State
- Latin Club
- Lead America
- Model United Nations of Mississippi
- National Honor Society
- National Young Leaders Conference
- People to People
- Poetry Out Loud
- Prudential Spirit of Community
- Science Club
- Scholastic Art and Writing Awards
- Speech and Debate Club
- Who's Who Among High School Students
- Youth Legislature of Mississippi
At The Education Center School, part of our vision is to empower our students with the knowledge that there are no limits to what they can accomplish. When our students take this to heart and succeed in their goals, we do our best to acknowledge them and encourage further success. We recognize our students' achievements in many ways, including:
- Quarter and semester Honor Rolls, featuring students with high averages in all of their classes
- Student of the Month, awarded to students who exhibit leadership, positive work ethic, and perseverance
- On the Spot Awards, highlighting students and faculty members who go above and beyond the normal duties of school and work
- Announcements sent to local newspapers spotlighting our students' latest activities and service projects
- Our Awards Day, held during graduation, where we showcase our students' diverse talents and accomplishments
The Education Center School Parent-Faculty Association (PFA)
The Education Center School's Parent and Faculty Association (PFA) is a group of volunteers that work with the school to enhance the educational experience of every student in our school. The PFA builds productive relationships so that parent and teachers collaborate to insure success for our students. As child advocates, the PFA promotes the welfare of our children and youth in home, school, and community and provides both educational and community service benefits to the students of The Education Center School. The PFA activities help make our school strong and give our students something to look forward to throughout the year.
- Parents of students at ECS join the PFA when their child is enrolled. Parents assist with school improvement, help the Student Council with projects, provide refreshments for the faculty and staff, and support ECS in numerous ways throughout the year.
- PFA membership form